Friday, March 1, 2013

Five things I learned about recovery from Bipolar Disorder from the Silver Linings Playbook



Five things I learned about recovery from Bipolar Disorder from the Silver Linings Playbook:

*SPOILER WARNING IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVIE*

1. It's always a good thing to allow in your life people as crazy as you are. 

2. Don't be arrogant enough to assume that others are more insane (insanier?) than you are when you're pretty messed up yourself. 

2. Indulge your parents' OCD and manic episodes, such as your dad gambling his entire savings on your dance competition scores.

(For the record, I'm being sarcastic with this one --- don't get any ideas!)

3. Let go of the one who has proven he/she doesn't deserve you in the first place. After all, the one for you may just be right in front of you. Or right behind you, stalking you while you jog around the neighborhood.

4. Getting into altercations with the law is more tolerable when you're saving your therapist from racist bas*****.

(On a geeky note, did any of you counseling psych friends of mine catch the paradoxical intervention Dr. Patel gave Pat?)

5. Jennifer Lawrence is cute. And yes, this counts as a life lesson.

1 comment:

  1. As I've said, number 5 is the true revelation for a guy like me. :))

    On a more serious note, sometimes I can't help but think I have my own "manic" episodes, making me think that I'm also messed up, but heck I just could be a mental hypochondriac. :))

    ReplyDelete